[Systems] SL Social Help and COPPA

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 05:56:27 EDT 2015

Hi,

I was thinking a little more about the social help web service.  It is
probably going to get a few sign ups from people under the age of 13 years
old (sugar's target market, right?).  It is also hosted on a server in the
USA.  Therefore I think that means we need to make it comply with the COPPA
[1].

I'm completely at a loss of how to comply.  It appears that email addresses
are classes as PII (personally identifying info), so require parental
consent to be gather.  Discourse (the forum) software is practically
inseparable from email addresses.  Requiring parental consent would wreck
the whole social help experience (being able to quickly ask a question).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

[1]  http://coppa.org/