[Systems] Wiki speed

Sam P. sam at sam.today
Sun Jun 28 06:37:04 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Samuel and I chatted and tested stuff on irc earlier this morning (well,
last night over in you guys part of the world).  Here's where we are at:

*  Docker can actually do cpu limitation in a good way.  We found 2 ways we
can limit the cpu, both of which work pretty well (aka. we tested them)
    - Dedicate docker X cores and use cpu shares.  Effectively saying "if
all of the containers are using the cpu at the same time, you get (my
share)/(total shares) of the cpu pool".  That could work fine, we'd just
need to agree on which cpu cores to use and keep them the same across all
containers
    - We can set a limit to how much (%) of each cpu scheduler period that
the container can use
=> We kinda have found that we can do everything with docker - no hipster
stuff needed

* Docker has good managament/reporting tools.  We deployed (aka. ran the
container) cAdvisor (by Google), which is a nice web interface to the
cpu/ram per container status
    - http://freedom.sugarlabs.org:8080/containers/
    - eg.  Discourse container
http://freedom.sugarlabs.org:8080/containers/docker/205acea16a1bbc6018b3512bf5d771e0906a997945bcac5605b53963e65aee86
    - Will find a solution to why it shows container ids not names on the
list page (because good sysadmins obviously memorise the container id of
every container they launch)

* We now have data to make decisions about what resources to allocate to
the containers and means to limit them to those resources!  Yay!

Thanks,
Sam