[Systems] Wiki speed

Samuel Cantero scg at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 26 09:14:49 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Sam P. <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Samuel,
>
> Thanks for doing the research about resource limits in docker by the way!
>

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM Samuel Cantero <scg at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>
>> wrote:

>>> LGTM. Can you and the other Sam (scg) work together on this?
>>>

>> Of course. I couldn't get in contact with Sam yet but I have been working
>> on this and I have some interesting things to tell you.
>>

>>> I think the current docker setup is still too sketchy to run on justice
>>> alongside other production VMs. We need to ensure that each container has
>>> hard limits on all resources: cpu, memory, disk space and possibly even I/O
>>> bandwidth.
>>>

>> Sure. I want to tell you about my research. I was reading about docker
>> runtime constraints on resources. By default, the memory and swap
>> accounting is disable on ubuntu 14.04. We need to enable it on GRUB setting
>> the following line:
>>
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"
>>
>> Then we have to update the grub (sudo update-grub) and pitifully reboot
>> the system. I have checked it on freedom and it is not activated.
>>

> Wait.  Why do we need to enable this if we have the memory control working
> as you tested?

I have done the tests on a VM running on my laptop. :)

> [...]
>>
>> A container with a memory limit of 256 MB will die If we stress out the
>> container with the twice of the assigned memory. The container uses all of
>> the memory and all of the swap and then die.
>>

> Sounds great!
>

>> *CPU*
>>
>> When I run the stress tool (inside the container) with 2 workers to
>> impose load on to the CPU, I can see that each process consume 50% of CPU.
>> Yes, by default, a container can use a 100% of the CPU. And If we have many
>> cores, it can use all the cores available.
>>
>> Docker lets you specify a CPU share, but this is not so useful to
>> actually limit the physical cores (I guess). The CPU share is just a
>> proportion of CPU cycles. This is a relative weight (between containers)
>> and has nothing to do with the actual processor speed. Besides, the
>> proportion will only apply when CPU-intensive processes are running. When
>> tasks in one container are idle, other containers can use the left-over CPU
>> time. As you might guess, on an idle host, a container with low shares will
>> still be able to use 100% of the CPU. On a multi-core system, the shares of
>> CPU time are distributed over all CPU cores. Even if a container is limited
>> to less than 100% of CPU time, it can use 100% of each individual CPU core.
>>
>> As you can see, there is no way to say that a container should have
>> access only to 1 GHz of the CPU. Therefore, what can we do then?
>>
>> 1- Limit the container's CPU usage in percentage. For example, we
>> can limit the container to 50% of a CPU resource using CPU quota in docker.
>>
>> When I ran the stress tool (inside the container) with 2 workers to
>> impose load on to the CPU, I saw that each process consumed around 25% of
>> CPU (values: 25.2 and 24.9, 25.2 and 25.2, 25.6 y 24.9 and so on). However,
>> I have to test it in a multi-core VM and perform other testing.
>>
>> This is just a first test. I want to continue reading about CPU quota and
>> CPU period constraints in Docker.
>>
>> 2- Pin a container to a specific core, i.e, set cpu or cpus in which to
>> allow execution for containers.
>>

> Yeah, that is probably an issue with docker.  Infact there seem to be 2
> main issues with docker on SL infra now:
>
> 1.  cpu limits
> 2.  docker kills containers when you restart the daemon (aka. installing a
> docker update kills containers).  That's probably why all the containers
> got stopped a while back.  The 'solution' to that seems to be clustering -
> but that ain't gonna work for us.
>
> So, lets look at alternatives to docker.  The 2 that stand out are rkt
> (core os) and runc.io (reference Open Container Project implementation).
> Both of them allow you to run docker images.  Both run as a standalone
> program not a daemon; so you can use systemd for resource management (demo
> on runc.io).
>
> Freedom doesn't actually have systemd, but maybe upstart does something
> similar.  I will look into it, but I that rkt or runc could be a useful

I like the approach of using systemd for resource management. Besides,
on an operating system which uses systemd as the service manager process
(not only the ones inside of the container) will be placed in a cgroups
tree. BTW, systemd will replace upstart in Ubuntu 15.04.

I will look for rtk and runc.io.

Thanks