[Systems] Wiki speed (was Re: Wiki account creation OpenID Problem)

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 04:02:45 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I just saw that the docker container on freedom that does the
magical-wiki-visual-editor-node-js-service was not running, so that was why
only the edit source thing was working :)

IDK what happened there - did somebody restart docker on freedom?  or
restart freedom?  all of the containers were down :(

So about the visual editor, here were my tests on wiki-devel (running "time
curl http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki >
/dev/null" on sunjammer):

* ~2sec average time with visual editor and all the others
* ~1.5sec without visual editor => probs a bit of network cost, but not the
whole thing
* ~1.7sec without mobile front end (but with VE and all the others)
* ~2sec without the media viewer lightbox (but with VE and all the others)

Don't trust my test results, but  it would probably help a little to move
VE together with the rest of the wiki.

It would be pretty cool to containerize or chuck the wiki in a new VM.
That would make it eaiser to move the VE thing onto the same machine.
Moving it onto a newer OS could also let us play with HHVM, which seems to
work nicely with media wiki [1][2].

Thanks,
Sam

[1]  Nice CPU Usage graph!  http://hhvm.com/blog/7205/wikipedia-on-hhvm
[2]  "How we made editing Wikipedia twice as fast"
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/12/29/how-we-made-editing-wikipedia-twice-as-fast/