[Systems] Error on trac reading a bug #4863

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jul 28 19:39:31 EDT 2015

On 07/28/2015 06:52 AM, Sam P. wrote:
> Hi Bernie,
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org
> <mailto:bernie at codewiz.org>> wrote:
>
>     1. We need monitoring for containers health with notifications when
>     parameters go off thresholds. Similar to what Munin does.
>

> I'm not sure how that would help us.  A container running out of
> resources doesn't crash - parsoid runs almost using all the allocated
> memory and parsoid+trac+others hit their cpu quotas sometimes and just
> keep running.
>
> Maybe it would be more useful to monitor client metrics, like can we
> reach the service over http?

I wouldn't expect processes to die when they hit their quota of cpu
time, network and disk I/O bandwidth. But the only possible outcome of
an OOM on a Linux system is killing the process group. The reason why is
that most processes are not prepared to handle malloc() returning NULL
and they would just crash or misbehave. Restarting everything is better
than leaving half of the processes limping around in the container in a
crippled state in which all user queries would fail anyway (no database,
no frontend http server...).

When the filesystem fills, the appropriate action depends on whether the
container contains volatile or permanent data. Frontend containers
typically have no local data and can just be restarted from a clean
image. Storage is only used to store logs, coredumps and stuff like that.

>     2. Containers should autorestart if they crash for any reason (with the
>     usual measures to deal with services which crash repeatedly).
>

> That is a feature built into docker.  I've enabled it in container.yml
> (as a global default) and restarted trac with the new parameters.

Cool.

Hey, thank you very much for being always so responsive in fixing
things. Much appreciated.

 \X/  http://codewiz.org