[Systems] New VMs in Justice for GCI contest - Public IP addresses

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Dec 7 11:18:07 EST 2015

On 12/06/2015 04:59 PM, Samuel Cantero wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I just recently created two new VMs named "gci" and "gci-docker" in
> Justice for the GCI contest. The first one is for tasks not related to
> docker, for example, testing a new mailing list or mediawiki and the
> second one is for docker related tasks.
>
> According to our wiki [1], we have available for usage the following
> public IP addresses: 18.85.44.59-77. I would like to validate with you
> the current available public IP addresses. The ones that I've found
> unused are:
>
>   * 18.85.44.63 (pointing to rt.slo in the DNS - owners: lfaraone and dogi).
>   * 18.85.44.65 (pointing to pootle.slo - owners: dirakx, cjl). I guess
>     this has been replaced by newpootle (18.85.44.68 - owner: tch).
>   * 18.85.44.70 (pointing to atls.slo - owner: mstone). I don't have
>     ping response from this IP. I didn't find the VM also.
>   * 18.85.44.73 (pointing to docky.slo - owner: dnarvaez). I don't have
>     ping response from this IP. I didn't find the VM also.
>   * 18.85.44.76 and 18.85.44.77 - unused.
>
> Can the owners confirm the usage of those IPs? I would like to clean up
> our IP usage and assign new IPs for the GCI's VMs.

To the best of my knowledge, all your findings are correct.

When we need to allocate IPs, let's use sugarlabs.org.zone as our
ground-truth because it needs to be kept up to date anyway in order to
give the machine a hostname. Also, everyone gets notified with the email
on git push.

Just in case, I always ping the IP before using it.

 \X/  http://codewiz.org