[Systems] new pootle instance

Bernie Innocenti codewiz at google.com
Sat Jul 12 20:36:53 EDT 2014

+cjl

On 07/12/2014 07:46 PM, Roberto Rodriguez Alcala wrote:
> I think OOM killer and nasty things are easier to handle if we go with
> the instance of its own option.

Yes, and newpootle was created ~1yr ago specifically to host pootle on
justice.  However, the former maintainers of Pootle had some trouble
during the migration and left the old production instance running on the
ailing housetree (which at the time had already one broken harddrive, iirc).

My preferred way to handle unmaintained services would be shutting them
down gracefully with enough advance notice for users to migrate away. An
abandoned service *will* eventually break, leaving behind a number of
unhappy users who lost their data and making our team look sloppy or
even unprofessional.

Pootle is an especially painful case because it's been crippled for
years with a number of stability and performance issues, and nobody
seems to love it enough to solve them. If even Tincho and Raul fail to
restore Pootle, I propose we declare its rotting carcass legally dead
and move on to consider alternative workflows for translators. Chris,
what do you think?