[Systems] [IAEP] laptop.org listservers dead?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed Dec 17 13:13:08 EST 2014

Hi Adam,
I am truly sorry that you feel insulted. I was merely stating that I
usually don't understand half of what you write because of your
colorful metaphores. Even though my english is pretty good, you usually
choose words and cultural references which are alien to me. Perhaps I
should have stated this more carefully, in a different thread, or
something. I am sorry that I made you feel bad, and I appreciate your
efforts over the years.

On the aparently sensitive topic of community vs.
olpc-who-ever-they-are-these-days, I frankly don't care about the
second party. They have no obligation or responsibility to the wider
"Free Software in Education" latin american community, to call it
something, and we have an obligation to self-organize or we will be
doomed to dependency from well meaning but sometimes unempowered people
/ volunteers.

Sugar Labs offers a brittle equilibrium as a middle ground which has
sufficient hosting resources at least for sustaining the development of
a common platform for education. That at least is my hope, for the time
being, hosting is pretty good.

Sugar-Sur is long due anyway. On the other hand here is a legitimate
concern from the mantainer of a current Sugar list: SomosAzucar.

SomosAzucar is currently the mark we use as a R&D team composed by
members of Sugar Labs Perú. It is also the name of the sugarlabs peru
mailing list and this lends itself for confusion. We would like this
list to have more discussion about all things Sugar, but the name
suggests it is only there to discuss SomosAzucar Team's projects, and
this is unfortunate. On the other hand, Sugar people from other
Latinamerican countries have no forum to discuss Sugar except
Sugar-Desarrollo which obviously alienates teachers and other
non-developers.

IAEP suppossedly is bilingual but this in practice alienates spanish
only speakers.

If "Es Un Proyecto Educativo" is true and alive, it would be in the
best interest of the Peru community and the SomosAzucar team to
relinquish maintenance of this list and offer our current body of
subscribers as a seed for "Sugar-Sur: Es un Proyecto Educativo" - a new
list unrelated to previous mecenas or well meaning hardware vendors.

Do you think this is a good compromise?
(in cc: Laura, other somosazucar@ mantainer)
--
Sebastian Silva
"icarito" #sugar #somosazucar (freenode IRC)

"Las maestras y los maestros democráticos intervenimos en el mundo a
través del cultivo de la curiosidad" - P.Freire