[Systems] Hosting with SL

Stefan Unterhauser stefan at unterhauser.name
Wed Aug 20 18:22:28 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am dogi devops and take physically care of all the sugarlabs machines
hosted in the medialab
I am also the main user (virtually) of freedom

sorry for my delay,
and sorry for this long email

but I was busy fixing all the boot issues in the VMs which was hosted on
freedom
<http://munin.treehouse.su/gar/DOMs/freedom.treehouse.su/libvirt.html>
this was due the reboot after the upgrade to 14.04
there are 23 VMs on this machine (17 of them are active)

even it looks like 2 days of stable running we will know earliest by the
end of the month (monthly cron),
if all stuff we tweaked the virtual machine host (freedom) survived the
upgrade to 14.04

anyway bernie thank you for all your help with upgrade :)

but keeping in mind that disk I/O shortage is causing an average load of 5
I wonder if our best bet for testing is freedom

I think the best way of spooling this docker thing ;) down gracefully
is to do it at least for now treehouse.treehouse.su
<http://munin.treehouse.su/gar/DOMs/treehouse.treehouse.su/index.html>

treehouse is as freedom and justice
<http://munin.treehouse.su/gar/DOMs/justice.treehouse.su/libvirt.html> a
64GB ram machine, has 12cores in 2cpus instead of 8
and is right now in the last process of harddrive testing
one of the 2 refurbished hd-drives already failed :( -> I need only one to
last
I have there two raid1's over at least 3 (sometimes 4) harddrives one in hd
and the other in ssd ;)

so far I run there some tiny experiments like http://chat.media.mit.edu,
http://genome.media.mit.edu:8003, farmier and dirt are both drupals ...

treehouse so far is a machine with a plain new ubuntu 14.04 install and is
supposed to be next production machine
for all the valuable experiments on freedom like http://publiclab.org

some of you may wonder what treehouse(.su/gar) as an entity is,
it is a loose group of devops and ala
which are using the IRC channel #treehouse
<http://chat.media.mit.edu/?channels=treehouse&nick=>  on oftc.net to share
and an learn about systems administration
and got created 2009 backed up by necsys
<http://web.media.mit.edu/~mbletsas/> of medialab with the intention to
middle between sugarlabs and olpc in form of 2 servers -> treehouse and
housetree

anyway on #treehouse irc channel right now there are at least 4 people with
docker experience
isforinsects <https://github.com/GITenberg/> (former olpc sysadmin)
nicocesar <https://github.com/nicocesar> (fsf sysadmin)
itamarst <https://github.com/itamarst> (https://clusterhq.com/ and flocker!)
and
myself ... yes did already do 18 months ago first experiments ...
I did end up scratching them -> not stable enough at the time ;(
->  but I have a lot of ssh tunnel experience :P

also forgot freedom, justice, treehouse and housetree (-> working on a
clusterhq version with zfs) are all in the same serverroom

long email short
I strongly advise not shaking freedom right now more then necessary (only
one new thing (update to 14.04) at the time),
but can offer temporary access to treehouse which is a machine on its way
to be a new production machine

Hereby I officially add bernie as root user on new treehouse ;)
if all of you send me sshkeys and perferred username I can hook you up

xo
dogi

PS: email is not my forte ... will try to be shorter next time ;) -> I
strongly prefer IRC or other sync media :P