[Systems] Hosting with SL

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 18 16:47:18 EDT 2014

+systems@

On 08/17/2014 10:50 AM, Prasoon Shukla wrote:
> Hello again everyone. So, I finally got good internet access again :)
>
> Anyway, @bernie: the servers at MIT would be very good indeed and the
> required sysadmin support is minimal since the whole thing runs in a
> docker container. I can do the initial setup and the like. From then on,
> the required support would be from little to none and I can continue
> looking after the docker instance. I suppose other members of the
> community can lend a hand, too, since it's very little work.
>
> Let me know what to do.

Sorry for the slow answer. I was hoping to get back to you during the
week-end, but it didn't happen.

I have virtually (*) zero experience with Docker, but I've been wanting
to learn about it since last year. This seems like a good excuse.

Our current hosting infrastructure is still based on traditional virtual
machines running under KVM and managed with libvirt.

We have two identical hosts: justice.sugarlabs.org, which runs all our
production services, and freedom.sugarlabs.org, a hot spare running
experimental VMs and buildbots.

My understanding is that Docker provides enough resource isolation to
safely run containers alongside other production services on the same
machine. We could deploy something on freedom and see how it goes.

What access level do you need in order to setup and configure your
container(s)? I'd rather not give out root access to our production
hosts, but several SL sysadmins can help you.

Please meet me on #sugar one of these evenings (I'm in EDT) to walk me
through the setup steps. I can probably find the time to read some
documentation tonight.

(*) pun intended :-)

--
Bernie Innocenti