[Systems] [Sugar-devel] Broken ASLO mirrors

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Aug 9 18:37:43 EDT 2014

On 08/09/2014 06:26 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On 08/09/2014 06:16 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>> (dropping a bunch of redundant addresses from the cc list)
>>
>> I noticed a strange pattern: all the rsync mirrors appear to be broken,
>> but in fact they're all responsive and up to date (the timestamp.txt
>> file is fresh).
>>
>> Looks like Mirmon's health check over rsync is broken in some way.
>
> Ok, found the cause with strace:
>
> $ strace -f -e execve mirmon -v -get all -c /etc/mirmon.conf
> [...]
> [pid 11135] execve("/usr/bin/wget", ["/usr/bin/wget", "-q", "-O", "-",
> "-T", "30", "-t", "1", "rsync://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub"...], [/* 40
> vars */]Process 11124 detached
>
> It's using wget with an rsync url :-(

Ok, looks like the default /etc/mirmon.conf shipped with the Ubuntu
package doesn't support rsync. After reading the f...ine manual, I
changed it like so:

  probe /usr/bin/probe -q -t %TIMEOUT% %URL%timestamp.txt

This seems to do the right thing. Mirrors with rsync probing urls have
started to go green, and will go back online in a few hours (mirmon does
not declare them healthy until it has seen them up for long enough).

 \X/  http://codewiz.org