[Systems] Moving pootle to github

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 05:51:23 EDT 2013

On 9 June 2013 01:38, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On 06/07/2013 09:10 AM, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> > No, just glucose. You can see the exact list of modules on
> > https://github.com/sugarlabs/
>
> By the way, what is "sugarlabs", a shared account?

It's an organization

https://github.com/blog/674-introducing-organizations

> Wouldn't this subvert GitHub's philosophy that all forks are created
> equal, by creating one that looks more official than the others?

In my experience the large majority of github repository has an official
repo, very visibly linked from the project official website. For example

http://nodejs.org/

People fork the official repo and send patches through pull requests.

Which is exactly what we are doing.

> If it seems that this approach wouldn't be feasible for a project with
> many collaborators, check out http://git.kernel.org . Most of the repos
> under kernel/git/ are clones of the kernel tree with various patches
> applied. The most "official" tree that I can think of is
> kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git, the one maintained by Linus. There are of
> course many other public forks of the Linux kernel hosted on other sites.

I can't think of a single github repository that follows the kernel
development model. I'm sure there but I'm also pretty sure it's not the
normal development model for github repositories.

> I'm making the assumption that switching to GitHub was motivated in part
> by the desire to adopt the bazaar development style. If it's not the
> case, then GitHub may not be a very good fit for a central repository
> shared by multiple committers.

If with bazaar development model you mean kernel like, I don't think that
was one of the reasons. But as I said I don't think github pushes that
model either. It's pretty similar to gitorious really, just a better
implementation of it :)

In general I don't think kernel development practices are a good model for
our community, as proved by the attempt to push their patch review
practices and badly failing. We are a very different kind of communities.