[Systems] lost wiki password

Frederick Grose fgrose at sugarlabs.org
Thu Feb 14 20:23:19 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On 02/14/13 16:01, Frederick Grose wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at sugarlabs.org
> > <mailto:fgrose at sugarlabs.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Chris Leonard
> >     <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com <mailto:cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >         On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com
> >         <mailto:sdaly.be at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >         > Hi guys, sorry to bother you, but I forgot my SL wiki password
> >         (login is
> >         > SeanDaly). Can you please reset it, or did I miss an automated
> >         reset feature
> >         > somewhere?
> >         >
> >         > thanks
> >         > Sean
> >
> >         I'm speculating that with the addition of OpenID as a login
> option,
> >         the method for password resets may have changed.  However, I'm a
> >         little fuzzy on the details.
> >
> >         I think it may take an SL sysadmin (as opposed to just a wiki
> >         b-crat,
> >         for instance).  I looked at the various options for doing this
> via
> >         Special pages (logged on as a b-crat), but I did not immediately
> >         see a
> >         MW-accessible interface for doing this for you, or I would have
> done
> >         it.
> >
> >         http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Resetting_passwords
> >
> >         Sorry I couldn't be more help.
> >
> >         cjl
> >

> >     It looks like we need an update to the LDAP Authentication extension.
> >     We are at version 1.2e, but v1.2g has this changelog entry
> >     (
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LDAP_Authentication/Changelog#v1.2g
> ):
> >

> >           v1.2g
> >
> >       * Added fix to make mail me a password work again
> >

> >     (Something for Bernie.)
> >

> > Although, there may be more to it than that, because
> > wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org <http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org> is at v2.0a
> > and still responds
> > to http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:PasswordReset  with:
> >
> > Internal error
> > Passwords cannot be changed
>
> Thank you for analyzing this issue, Frederick!
>
> I'm very very short of time this week, so I'd be grateful if you could
> coordinate with the other sysadmins to solve it more quickly. These
> people have root access on sunjammer: alsroot, lfaraone, dogi, icarito,
> quidam, rgs. Icarito and rgs are definitely experienced with Mediawiki.
>
> --
>  _ // Bernie Innocenti
>  \X/  http://codewiz.org

In wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org,
I've disabled LDAP Authentication by commenting out in LocalSettings.php

require_once("$IP/extensions/LdapAuthentication/LdapAuthentication.php");
$wgAuth = new LdapAuthenticationPlugin();
and the related global variables.

http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:PasswordReset now successfully
sends me a temporary password that allowed me to successfully change to a
new password.

I could do the same on the main Sugar Labs wiki, if there is agreement that
the sacrifice of not having LDAP Authentication would be bearable, at least
until it is better integrated, substituted, or reevaluated.

Please advise.

         --Fred