[Systems] Spam on cl.sugarlabs.org

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Aug 15 23:56:06 EDT 2013

Hola Bernardo,

Thanks for looking into this.

With regard to pe.sugarlabs.org, we actively use it, and are aware of
the spam issue. I set up captcha for new users registrations for this
purpose and it seemed to deter spam for a while, but it's not sufficient.

When Chris started the laudable initiative to manually clean the wiki I
thanked him but expressed concern that we might be better off to just
start a new wiki from scratch and move valid content from the old one.
Since the issue is common to all of our "local labs" wikis, at the time
I proposed to unify the latin-american wikis into one sur.sugarlabs.org
wiki, but none of the mantainers answered.

I have been pondering the possiblity to move our wiki away from
Mediawiki into something different that might be less maintenance / with
a better workflow and am seriously considering moving to Hatta Wiki
http://hatta-wiki.org/, but I'm still not sure because it lacks the
ability to register new users (Hatta Wiki expects the web server to
authenticate users - we could use LDAP at ldap.sugarlabs.org but not all
of our users have shell accounts).

The main advantage I see is that it allows for offline editing and
maintenance of simple text files (under version control) which seems
much simpler for me than the web tools Mediawiki provides, that are
practically useless on a slow Internet link.

My concern about moving to wiki.sl.o is that what little identity each
local group has had might be gone. Also wiki.sl.o is very
english-centric and not too friendly for a spanish non-technical user to
find relevant information.

I do thank Frederick for the pointers to spam prevention strategies
(they will be useful!) and Chris for his whitelist (it will be handy for
moving, but there are some new pages to include, and there is still the
question of what to do with cl.sl.o and ar.sl.o).

Meanwhile, did we get the new server? I setup a few services on the
server hosted by my friend in Switzerland, but that need proper backup:
tareas.somosazucar.org (our very own bugtracker!)
tests.somosazucar.org (an instance of Jenkins testing bot for testing
Sugar Network Webui on each commit)
consulta.somosazucar.org (a LimeSurvey instance for creating online
surveys - still to be used)

Would you consider letting us have a virtual machine to mirror/backup
these and setup a clean wiki?

Regards,
Sebastian