[Systems] Bender + kvm + git.sugarlabs.org = slow

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sat Nov 3 18:44:09 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 19:37 +0100, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> Hey,
>
> the buildbot is slower than it used to be because cloning
> git.sugarlabs.org repositories takes a while. I noticed it just blocks
> for several seconds before pulling any data. By stracing git I can see
> that it blocks in
>
> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET6, sin6_port=htons(9418),
> inet_pton(AF_INET6, "2002:1255:2c78::1", &sin6_addr), sin6_flowinfo=0,
> sin6_scope_id=0}, 28
>
> This is inside the build slaves, which are kvm virtual machines on
> bender. And apparently it happens only on git.sugarlabs.org, pulling
> from git.gnome.org is fast. Also git.sugarlabs.org is fast from bender
> itself, outside the vm.
>
> Any idea what could be going on?

We seem to be having intermittent IPv6 routing issues with the machines
hosted at the Media Lab. I couldn't determine the root cause (*), so
yesterday I commented out the AAAA records of a bunch of hosts.

I've now disabled AAAA also for jita. In a few hours bender should
figure this out and stop trying to use IPv6.

(*) My guess is that the nearest 6to4 router is misconfigured or
filtering packets for some reason.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team