[Systems] Fwd: Mirror for Sugarlabs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Tue May 1 20:08:51 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 15:34 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:

> Hi there,
> We would like to provide a mirror for Sugarlabs in Germany.
> Is there such a need? And if yes, how much bandwidth are we expected to serve?

Hello, and thanks for the kind offer. Currently we have no mirrors in
Europe, so we could use your help. What kind of uplink do you have?

Our CDN uses Mirrorbrain to distribute the requests, mirmon to ensure
that the meirrors are up to date and rsync to propagate the updates. The
full details are documented here:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sysadmin/Content_Delivery_Network

Our download archive currently carries 123GB and grows very slowly. Once
synchronized, you will need a minimal amount of bandwidth to maintain
the mirror up to date.

As for the traffic you can expect, it's hard to tell because the traffic
is already being distributed to several mirrors and we have no access to
their logs. MirrorBrain will redirect to you only the requests
originating from a nearby IP. If it ends up being too much for your
pipe, we can tune the load balancing parameters to reduce the load.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team