[Systems] [Systems-logs] Buildbot virtual machines

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jun 17 12:34:57 EDT 2012

Interestingly, sysadmin at sugarlabs.org did not generate a ticket from
your message. I've already seen rt eat tickets in the past and it seems
to happen when people cc multiple addresses, so I suspect a routing
issue of some kind.

On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 11:05 +0200, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to subscribe to the list yesterday but I didn't get any
> confirmation, so I'm trying to post here.

Your request was blocked for pending approval.

> I'm setting up buildbot infrastructure and I would need a few virtual
> machines so that I can cover the systems I would like to support.

Sascha Silbe used to maintain a buildbot for Sugar, but now it seems
down:

  http://buildbot.sugarlabs.org/

Would you like to co-admin the service with Sascha, or take it over from
him in case he has no time to maintain it?

> Most urgent:
>
> Fedora 17 64bit
> Ubuntu 12.04 32bit
>
> Less urgent:
>
> Fedora 17 32bit
> Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

As you may have heard, we just acquired two new servers, but it will
take a while before we can put them in production.

Meanwhile, we have a kvm host called "bender" which is already hosting
all the VMs for the old buildbot. I could give you root access so you
can create some new VMs and decommission the oldest ones (we still have
a Fedora 11 vm!)

Caveats:

- bender is hosted in Italy on a 20mbit link shared with a company.
Build slaves don't use much bandwidth though.

- It's a Fedora 14 box, sorry. I haven't been in Italy for a while and
remote upgrades are risky. Security isn't an issue because the machine
does not have any public-facing services except for ssh.

- There are no IPv4 addresses for the virtual machines, so we've setup
an IPv6 subnet on the 6to4 network.

> There was a pretty extensive discussion on the devel mailing lists
> about the scripts I'm using for building
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2012-June/038037.html
>
> I have setup a repository with buildbot configuration
> https://github.com/dnarvaez/sugar-buildbot
>
> Instructions on how to set up master and slaves
> https://github.com/dnarvaez/sugar-buildbot/blob/master/README

Please migrate this project to git.sugarlabs.org before starting to use
it for a production service. We'd prefer to avoid the situation where
people have to hunt for source code related to Sugar on disparate sites.

> A live instance
> http://176.58.108.37:8010/
>
> I'd volunteer to admin the virtual machines. If it's going to take
> some time to setup virtual machines perhaps we could start to point
> buildbot.sugarlabs.org to 176.58.108.37? I cannot host it forever
> there but I would like to try and get developers to start using it..

I'd rather give you root access on sunjammer so you can move the service
there. Send a gpg-signed email with your ssh keys and your desired login
name, then come on #sugar to get started.

For more info:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/Getting_Involved
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/shell

Thanks!