[Systems] Plenty of buildbot logs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 31 13:35:51 EST 2012

[cc += systems@]

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 12:16 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of 2012-01-29 14:38:34 +0100:
>
> > Did you reply privately on purpose?
>
> Your message to me was private as well. Where should I have replied to?

Oh, my fault for not cc'ing systems@ in the first place. (I try to do it
on each and every infrastructure-related issue that isn't personal or
security sensitive).

> I've thought about this and I don't think we should. Setting up a new
> instance is going to be more work than fixing the old one and also
> includes all the same work (and some more).

I'm not talking about recycling the bits; we can just disable the apache
virtual-host and any cronjobs so we don't offer an unmaintained, broken
service.

I have nothing specifically against buildbot. It's just that I heard too
many complaints that the Sugar Labs web presence is too large and
confusing. So it's more important to offer few, very high quality
services rather than lots of perhaps-useful, sometimes-maintained
services that may mislead users.

If we don't want to loose the entire service, we could at least switch
off the buildslaves for ancient distros such as Fedora 10 and 11, that
Sugar isn't really supporting any more.

> I'm monitoring buildbot releases and so far only a single security
> update was necessary.

Good, at least we're covered from the security PoV.

> > > That's SL#1171. Yes, we should at least compress them. We can't
> > > simply remove them, however, as some of them are referenced from
> > > within still-open tickets. So logrotate or something similar won't
> > > work.
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > Are those logs being served somewhere?
>
> Yes, they're served by the web interface.
>
> I just took a look and most of the space (8.4GB) is occupied by
> thousands of rotated twistd.log files, which are internal logs and not
> of use to anyone. I've set up a cron job to delete anything except the
> first ten rotations.
>
> The build logs apparently are already stored compressed by default
> since 0.7.10, so there's nothing else to do for now.

Cool, thanks.

> We should scan the tickets for old referenced build logs and attach them
> to the ticket so we can prune the old logs from buildbot, but that's not
> urgent IMO.

Good idea.

> > > Maybe newer versions of buildbot already have a solution for this,
> > > but I don't have time to update and check it out.
> >
> > Ok. Shall we ask around for volunteers who'd want to take over
> > maintainership?
>
> +1. I don't expect anyone to turn up (as nobody is using the service),
> but it doesn't hurt to try.

Cool.

BTW, I marked this page as being outdated because it still mentions
Marco as the maintainer of Buildbot:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Buildbot

Feel free to update the page and remove the {{obsolete}} tag.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team