[Systems] Fwd: Gandi donates large amount of account credit to Conservancy for VPS's, domain registration, and SSL certificates

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Wed Aug 1 14:08:39 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 09:12 -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn at sfconservancy.org> wrote:
> > I attempted to do this just now.  Unfortunately, Gandi appears not to
> > allow creation of an SSL certificate for a domain name that isn't under
> > the control of the account attempting to create it.
> >
> > However perhaps it would make sense to move sugarlabs.org to
> > Conservancy's account at Gandi?  This would save the annual fees
> > associated with the domain name, and would allow for the creation of the
> > SSL certificates, which would also be paid for as part of the Gandi
> > donation.

I transferred the SL domains from Gandi to name.com a few years ago
because Gandi did not support setting DS records in the .org tld (for
DNSSEC support), nor AAAA glue records (for full IPv6 support).

The situation might have changed since then, but I no longer have any
domain on Gandi, so I can't check. Could you please try doing it from
the control panel?

> > Do the SLOBs want to do this?  If so, Bernie, send me the auth code for
> > transfer from Name.com, and I'll initiate the transfer.

If we do transfer the domains to Gandi, we should use an account that
you can share with the SL sysadmins, so we can make changes directly
without bothering you.

Some registrars allow creating subaccounts. Alternatively, could you
share your main account with a small group of trusted sysadmins? Of
course, with the promise that we'll use it exclusively to manipulate the
Sugar Labs domains.

> Speaking for myself, I think the SLOBs would/should entrust domain
> name registrations, certificates and DNS issues to our extremely
> competent (albeit overworked) Infrastructure team, and to Bernie's
> leadership on those issues.
> [...]

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team