[Systems] [Zero-install-devel] Sweets, Zero Install based Package Management System

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Sat Oct 29 11:44:35 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 12:12:21PM +0100, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On 9 October 2011 13:14, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:

> >> Hi Aleksey,
> >>
> >> This looks very interesting! Do you mean we could use this OBS
> >> instance for non-Sugar packages?
> >
> > Yes, at least that's an idea and there weren't objections from Sugar Labs
> > Infrastructure Team members (at least for now:).
> >
> > My personal reason to not make separation between Sugar and Zero Install
> > communities, is that both communities share similar ideas, i.e.,
> > stimulating direct contact between software creators and software users,
> > stimulating downstream experiments with software and sharing results
> > of experiments in fast and useful manner.
> >
> >> Is it possible to take a normal 0install source feed (e.g. using
> >> 0compile) and have the OBS build binaries for different platforms
> >> using it, for example?
> >
> > That's possible (with improving current OBS patch). There is only one
> > OBS design restriction, only one version will be built per OBS package,
> > i.e., from source feed uploaded to particular OBS package.
>
> Can we get a login to try it?

Sure, people need to follow
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/Account#Sugar_Labs_Central_Login
instructions. Such inconvenience is not by design, Sugar Labs is in
intermediate state of switching to centralized, LDAP based, login
system.

For now it supports only Sweets
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Guide/Sweets_Packaging
but it should possible to tune existed patch
http://git.sugarlabs.org/0sugar/build-service
to use, e.g., feeds with 0compile instructions as an analog of Sweets'
recipe files.

> By the way, do you want this key ("Sugar dextrose project") added to
> the key database?
>
> 61EA 548A 0933 AB2A 2B18 3FD4 7C0F 93F8 EC9F 8344

Yes, it would be useful. Maybe, if SL's OBS will be used finally, this
process might be automated at some sense keeping in mind policy like
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Open_Build_System/Policy

--
Aleksey