[Systems] SL Central Login (was Re: [Systems-logs] [DNS] Sugar Labs DNS zone data branch, master, updated. 8f472af67a1177a9644675b1fd2c2af7dff2e77a)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Oct 1 12:33:14 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 15:52 +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from Aleksey Lim's message of 2011-09-27 22:57:07 +0200:
>
> >  bernie │ 5. we make mediawiki authenticate users with CAS (this is what we do at the FSF, i know it works well)
>
> Does this work in a text browser without JavaScript support (e.g. w3m)?

CAS is cookie based, so it should work. If you've got a FSF account, try
it out here: http://libreplanet.org/

> What's the benefit over using OpenID? Will it be more complicated for
> users than using OpenID?

With OpenID, you still need to tell each web application that your
identity is something like https://id.sugarlabs.org/bernie . It's
designed for independent services that don't know or trust each other,
such as sourceforge.net and identica.

With CAS, you login only once and then you're magically logged in
everywhere else as well. The domain of the cookie is something like
cas.sugarlabs.org. There's a double redirection involved, but users
don't generally don't notice it.

Try it out with the FSF and see if you like it.

 \X/  http://codewiz.org