[Systems] Requesting hosting environment for a Collaboration project OLPC-Sugar

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 3 18:24:28 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 13:57 -0700, Henry Villar wrote:
> Thank you Bernie for your response.
>
> Here are the requirements for the Linux system for the olpcNET
> project:
>      1. System: RHEL/CentOS (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySql - the available
>         version, hopefully the latest -)
>      2. SELinux disabled, on 32-bit Linuxen.
>      3. No firewall, and access to the internet
>      4. Admin access, ability to execute the following installs:
> sudo yum install subversion
> sudo yum install gcc
> sudo yum install php
> sudo yum install php-xml
> sudo yum install mysql-server
> sudo yum install unixODBC
> sudo yum install mysql-connector-odbc
> sudo yum install php-odbc
> sudo yum install vnc
> sudo yum install vnc-server
> sudo yum install mod_ssl
> sudo yum install postfix
> sudo yum install ntp
>
> SSH and FTP ports enable for client communication

Our main shell/web server meets almost all the above requirements. The
missing bits are:

1. ftp: we don't provide authenticated ftp on any machine because ftp
transmits the password in cleartext. We use sftp, scp or rsync+ssh
instread.

2. odbc: typical php applications don't require ODBC to access mysql. Is
your application explicitly using the ODBC API? If so, we could easily
install the relevant packages.

3. This server runs Ubuntu Lucid.

If your application could be made to run in this environment, that will
save us some time and resources. Otherwise, we could setup a dedicated
VM, but you'll have to maintain and monitor it autonomously. We'll only
provide daily backups of the filesystem.

If you'd like to discuss the details, please join channel #sugar or
FreeNode. My nickname is bernie. Our virtualization infrastructure is
shared with other projects and is discussed on #treehouse, OFTC.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team