[Systems] All our mirrors are misconfigured (MIME types)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-3 at silbe.org
Sun Jul 24 06:31:56 EDT 2011

The issue OLPC-AU is having with IE vs. activity bundles prompted me to
check the MIME types on our mirrors. The result was abysmal: Not even a
single mirror gives the correct MIME type for activity bundles!

silbe at sunjammer:~$ for baseurl in $(sudo -u mirrorbrain mb list -H \
  |tr -s ' ' |cut -d ' ' -f 2) ; do
  echo -n "${baseurl}: "
  lwp-request -m HEAD "${baseurl}/activities/4024/browse-123.xo" \
    |grep Content-Type
  done
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/sugarlabs/: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
http://sugarlabs.usla.org.ar: Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/sugarlabs: Content-Type: text/plain
http://mirrors.rit.edu/sugarlabs: Content-Type: application/octet-stream
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/sugar/: Content-Type: application/octet-stream
http://mirrors.mit.edu/sugarlabs: Content-Type: application/octet-stream
http://mirrors.paraguayeduca.org/: Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
silbe at sunjammer:~$

I've filed a ticket against MirrorBrain to request a MIME type check to
be added (MB#91) so that misconfigured mirrors would be
a) detected when adding them and
b) automatically removed from the rotation.

We are lacking administrative contact information for the following
mirrors:

sugarlabs.usla.org.ar
mirrors.ibiblio.org
mirrors.paraguayeduca.org

Does anyone know how to reach the administrators of these mirrors?

mirrors.rit.edu has the name and email address of an individual (Paul
Mezzanini <pfmeec at rit.edu>) as the operator, but no administrative
contact. I suppose that was merely a mistake when adding the mirror.

Sascha

[1] http://mirrorbrain.org/issues/issue91
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/