[Systems] High cpu usage on lightwave

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Feb 23 09:58:06 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 01:11 -0500, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> What are these daily spikes of CPU utilization from Lightwave?
>
> http://munin.sugarlabs.org/sugarlabs.org/treehouse.sugarlabs.org/libvirt.html
>
> They last several hours every day and could contribute to overloading
> treehouse! Watch out tomorrow morning!

Ok, the CPU hog is Duplicity, while it's backing up this monster file:

  -rw------- 1 debian-sks debian-sks 6.7G Feb 23 09:00 /var/lib/sks/DB/key

It's a 6.7GB BerkleyDB table. Scary.

So, questions:

1) Does this table contain any data that couldn't be reconstructed from
other keyservers?

2) Can we ask BDB to split the table into multiple files?

3) Can we optimize or dump/restore the file to make it shrink?

For the time being, I've excluded /var/lib/sks/DB from the backup.