[Systems] Request for new SugarLabs mailman list

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sun Aug 21 11:07:25 EDT 2011

[cc += systems@]

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 13:21 -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> Dear Bernie,
>
> alsroot and dirakx and I were discussing how to track Pootle commits
> for the purpose of knowing if a given PO file in a given language has
> been committed since the POT was last updated.
>
> We talked about the RSS feed (which doesn't quite address the issue in
> a sustainable way) and the possibility of subscribing to commit
> notices from each and every project (which is not easily maintained),
>
> We agreed that what seems like the best solution would be to have a
> mailing list on the Sugar-Labs Mailman instance called
> "Pootle-commits" or something like that which would serve a purpose
> similar to the Bugs list as an e-mail-based archive of noteworthy
> actions taken on another piece of the infrastructure.
>
> In this case, alsroot would tweak a configuration on gitorious to send
> an e-mail to that list every time one of the language admins (acting
> via git user Poolte proxy credentials) took a loggable action
> (typically a commit) of the sort that would generate an e-mail message
> from gitorious.
>
> The e-mail address of the list could potentially be used as the
> address of the git user Pootle, but that might have to be thought out
> in terms of whether it would result in password resets being exposed.
> At the moment, git user Pootle's e-mail address is dirakx's.
>
> I would probably use the list by sending a message to the list every
> time a POT was refreshed in Poolte and pushed to all langs.  This way,
> I could just scan for commits of that POT (by lang) to determine if
> the lang admins had done their job of committing the files once
> members of their team had translated it.  We have no easy way of doing
> this on a broad scale, only activity repo by activity repo at the
> moment.  This sort of commit-status check is very important as we go
> into string freezes and to keep an eye on which langs are bei g
> well-adminned on a timely basis and which lang admins might need to be
> poked or supplemented with a more attentive admin.
>
> I would act as list admin and moderator, dirakx would act as a backup
> moderator.  I currently moderate the OLPC-hosted L10n list, so this is
> a non-issue for me.  We would work with alsroot on getting the git
> posting worked out by subscribing any needed e-mail address (e.g. git
> itself or whatever).
>
> Please note that because this is an infrastructure-oriented, bot-type
> list, I hope the usual standard of ten initial subscribers can be
> waived for creating a new list.  No existing list really wants to see
> this traffic, it would be a distraction on the L10n list and cause the
> meaningful commit notices to be harder to sort from the human list
> traffic.
>
> Thank you for your attention to this matter.
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> cjl

Sorry for the delay, I'm at a conference in NYC.

I've created the list and made cjl the administrator. He should have
received an email with the admin password. The home URL is:

The list still needs to be configured, but cjl is a mailman veteran so I
won't interfere. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team