[Systems] translate.sl.o

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Apr 18 19:50:17 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 15:46 -0500, Rafael Ortiz wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Rafael Ortiz
> <rafael at activitycentral.com> wrote:
>         We have to check on what process is killing it.
>         ugh.
>

> I've managed to get the logs..
>

>  http://fpaste.org/gCyX/
>

>From dmesg, it looks like the OOM had to kill a bunch of processes to
free up some memory. Probably the Django crap had run out of control.

Munin has also been dead for a couple of months, so we can't tell what
happened. Now I've restarted it, and let's hope it doesn't get killed.

> some problem with mod_wsgi, we talked with dogi about the possibility
> of working with mod_python.
>
> as per
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/deployment/modpython/?from=olddocs
>

> sounds o.k ?

We moved away from mod_python some time ago because it was causing other
problems and the Python / Django people seem to dislike it. From the
link you provided:

  Support for mod_python has been deprecated, and will be removed in
  Django 1.5. If you are configuring a new deployment, you are strongly
  encouraged to consider using mod_wsgi or any of the other supported
  backends.

We should figure out if mod_wsgi provides a way to limit the maximum
memory used by the web application and restart it as needed. Apache does
this automatically for all in-process interpreters, such as mod_php.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team