[Systems] [Fwd: New kernel blues]

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Wed Sep 15 13:41:00 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of Wed Sep 15 17:38:37 +0200 2010:

> Aleph tried to reboot bender with the latest kernel, but we get this
> nasty error. 2.6.29 works all right.

The screen photo is cut off unfortunately. I haven't seen this kind of
message before.
I also can't check the boot log of the current kernel as it's spamming
the log with:

emulation failed (pagetable) rip 7c007c00 38 5c 06 72
__ratelimit: 396669 callbacks suppressed
[...]

One thing that might have triggered this is the HPA [1] on sdc:

bender:~# hdparm -N /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
 max sectors   = 625140335/625142448, HPA is enabled
bender:~#

You could try deactivating the HPA after you have verified that nothing
is actually using it (no idea how).

Sascha

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_Protected_Area
--