[Systems] Pootle Spam

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 23:15:03 EDT 2010

Unfortunately, I believe we are seeing our first linkspam attack on Pootle.

This user:
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/accounts/frannyberry/

frannyberry at writeme.com

Has made suggestions and submissions that appear to be some sort of
linkspam.  Like the following:

8gv5VE  <a href="http://blcbwyhxwdcc.com/">blcbwyhxwdcc</a>, [url=
http://tyfzlpsrholl.com/]tyfzlpsrholl[/url], [link=
http://bsuxmpmcpogj.com/]bsuxmpmcpogj[/link], http://zpenwspavuai.com/

Pootle does not give a convenient contributions and rollback capability like
MediaWiki.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how we should handle this?  As
a pootle admin, I can delete this account, but I am concerned it might just
come back under a new name, so I haven't done that yet.  The priv to submit
is not always granted on every project, it is basically up to the language
admins.

I'm hoping we can come up with a countervandalism strategy before this gets
much worse.  Suggestions are needed.

cjl