[Systems] Server architecture for olpcMAP

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Nov 28 22:44:45 EST 2010

(reposting with correct address for the googlegroup)

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 20:39 -0500, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Making things fast is what I do at work all day.  Memcached is the
> right direction -- mysql can scale but it takes a significant amount
> of elbow grease and tuning.  The problem with current cloud platforms
> is expense.  If you're going to move the site I recommend securing
> some free server space from a friendly university.  Places like OSUOSL
> specialize in managing open-source community infrastructure, and these
> places are in my opinion our best bet.

We can offer free virtual hosting within the Sugar Labs infrastructure,
which is itself hosted by the Free Software Foundation in a stable
collocation facility with gigabit uplink, UPS and daily off-site
backups.

How much capacity is needed in terms of disk space, memory, bandwidth
and database? Can it be hosted on either Ubuntu Lucid or a Fedora 14
virtual machine?

The only conditions are:

1) the FSF made me promise that we won't use their infrastructure to
distribute proprietary software. Is the code and data going to be 100%
free?

2) one system administrator will take full responsibility for
maintainance of the the virtual machine, including security. The
Infrastructure Team, which is volunteer-driven like the rest of Sugar
Labs, may or may not be available to assist with system administration.

If this is acceptable, we're glad to be of service.