[Systems] lightwave backups failing!

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Wed Nov 17 06:47:12 EST 2010

Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of Tue Nov 16 17:04:38 +0100 2010:

> Sascha, could you look into it please?
>
> /etc/cron.daily/system-full-backup:
> ERROR: $HOME points at
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/system-full-backup exited with return code 1

I don't see HOME being mentioned in any of the documentation I checked,
so we can't rely on it being set (for "system" cron jobs, not those in
user crontabs). anacron on lightwave sets SHELL and PATH:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

If the backup job depends on a specific value of $HOME (why?), it should
set it explicitly. Alternatively we could move it from /etc/cron.daily
to the crontab of root (IIRC Vixie cron - which we use on lightwave -
allows root to have a regular crontab).

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/