[Systems] [NOT REALLY SOLVED] VM lockup with 100% CPU usage

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Nov 5 16:21:19 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 19:59 +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> > I added the "clock=pmtmr" setting to the kernel command line. Aleksey,
> > can you reboot when you're done?
>
> done

I realized that clock=pmtmr is now deprecated in the kernel, and our VMs
say "Switching to clocksource kvm-clock" on startup.

I'm no longer sure that this setting is actually useful. Let's leave it
there for a while, just to see if it makes any difference.

=== from linux-2.6/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt ===

clock=      [BUGS=X86-32, HW] gettimeofday clocksource override.
            [Deprecated]
            Forces specified clocksource (if available) to be used
            when calculating gettimeofday(). If specified
            clocksource is not available, it defaults to PIT.
            Format: { pit | tsc | cyclone | pmtmr }

clocksource=    Override the default clocksource
            Format: <string>
            Override the default clocksource and use the clocksource
            with the name specified.
            Some clocksource names to choose from, depending on
            the platform:
            [all] jiffies (this is the base, fallback clocksource)
            [ACPI] acpi_pm
            [ARM] imx_timer1,OSTS,netx_timer,mpu_timer2,
                  pxa_timer,timer3,32k_counter,timer0_1
            [AVR32] avr32
            [X86-32] pit,hpet,tsc,vmi-timer;
                scx200_hrt on Geode; cyclone on IBM x440
            [MIPS] MIPS
            [PARISC] cr16
            [S390] tod
            [SH] SuperH