[Systems] wiki design

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Mar 13 07:33:12 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 19:00 -0700, Josh Williams wrote:

> The content pane is set to a max width of 1020px and is fluid at smaller
> widths. You're suggesting it should be wider right? Could you attach a
> screen shot for both problems?

Here we go:

 http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/Welcome_to_the_Sugar_Labs_wiki

Why do we need to limit the maximum horizontal size at all? If I like
the page to be laid out narrower, I can always resize the browser
window :-)

Perhaps we need to set a minimum width below which the page starts
looking bad due to excessive wrapping. But hard-coded dimensions often
bother people with hand-held devices.

Is there an easy way for web designers to check compatibility across
multiple browsers? I remember seeing a website that would take
screenshots of any url with multiple browsers. I forgot its name.

> I haven't actually styled the tables yet. The tables will overflow
> horizontally on the live wiki now. You're only noticing this happen
> because the font size is larger forcing the overflow. I can make the
> font size smaller in the tables if you think the tables break at an
> unreasonable width.

That would be useful imho.

> > Note that I have a very high DPI display and therefore I configure my
> > browsers with bigger than normal fonts. Most sites survive this, but a
> > few break.
>
> I think a screen shot will help for this one too. Thanks for the feedback.

Please refer to the same screenshot I sent. It's not a Chromium specific
issue, the layout is similarly odd in Firefox.

To reproduce it, go to the font settings and enlarge the default fonts.

> I'm contemplating removing the borders from the main content area. I've
> attached a screen shot of this. I think it's more inline with
> Christian's design for sugarlabs.org and it also avoids some rendering
> issues browse has with borders.
>
> Any input on this direction would be great.

I like it borderless! Like Frederick, I also feel that it would be good
to have some elements reminiscent of the Sugar UI, but only as long as
we can balance it with aesthetic needs. I met plenty of people who told
me that our old skin was awful.