[Systems] wiki design

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 19:00:58 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 11:40 -0500, Chris Leonard wrote:
>
> > Variously, Firefox 3.6, IE 8.0 or Safari.  My point was that
> > *translate* doesn't show in the linkbar at the top of the wiki at
> > present, not that I don't see the linkbar.  (see attached PNG).
>
> Ah, I see!
>
> Which one do we remove to make room for translate? I vote for kicking
> "people".
>
> I think we should have a "no more than N words" rule, like Google, to
> prevent the type of clutter that tends to from when everyone who is
> passing by says: "let's add this link, it could be very useful".

Josh's notion of a Google-like "more >" is fairly appealing, as long as it
is consistent across as many *.sugarlabs.org sites as possible.  As for
ranking exactly which belong "above the fold", I'm guessing that "people"
doesn't get a lot of click-through, I suspect that when used, it is
deep-linked.  Do you have Google Analytics or something else keeping
web-stats on page navigation?

I'm biased in favor of "translate" as I try to contribute to the
localization community (or translation team) and it strikes me that putting
"translate" in the linkbar could help drive potential localizers to the
Pootle server, which would be nice.

cjl