[Systems] API for activities.sugarlabs.org?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Mar 4 11:40:55 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 12:26:30PM -0300, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 12:17 -0200, Pablo Flores wrote:
> >
> > > I liked the idea of creating a specific locale for Uruguay. Even
> > > better if we can use a virtual host in the domain ceibaljam.org.
>
> I'm afraid I wasn't clear, I meant that if user opnes ASLO from es_UY
> locale, ASLO will pick it up and change current locale to es_UY (see
> "Other languages" combobox at the bottom of main page) and e.g. will
> show only comments only from es_UY people.
>
> > For the locale, I guess alsroot can add es_UY easily.
> >
> > For the virtual host, just set activities.ceibaljam.org as a CNAME
> > pointing to sunjammer.sugarlabs.org. I'll do the rest in Apache.
> >

> > > In this way, we could use a different theme and have separate reviews.
> > > Question: would the average rating be based in only our locale
> > > reviews? That would be the best...
>
> so, it is impissible to have separate theming for es_UY
>
> > I don't know if it is easy or possible to customize the css or the logo
> > based on the virtual host. It might require some coding work in the
> > Remora codebase.
>
> but we can create separate web node particular for Uruguay
> e.g. we have two web nodes that use the same MySQL db and directories
> with activity bundles. So we can just have 3rd web node but with Uruguay
> theming applied and w/ some PHP hacks to show comments/strings only from
> es_UY people.

I am _very_ hestant about agreeing to county/deployment specific
modifications.  They will quickly turn into a scalability and maintenance
nightmare.  The strength of the open source development model and sugar labs
is their ability to create a common point from which others can build.

+1 to single sign-on
+1 to ability to sort comments/reviews based on a users member group of
access locale
-1 to custom themes until they can be abstracted to the point that new
themes can be implemented without ASLO admin attention.

david