[Systems] [Fwd: Re: Help with infrastructure]

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jul 5 21:47:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 17:09 -0400, Steven M. Parrish wrote:
> I'll take these 3 to start.
>
>   * wiki (sysadmin only, does not take much time)
>   * shell accounts setup and support (not much work)

These services reside on

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/sunjammer

To manage shell accounts, see:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sysadmin/Add_shell_account

For the main wiki, there's no written documentation. There's however a
recipe to create new wikis for Local Labs:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sysadmin/Add_wiki

The main wiki lives in /srv/www-sugarlabs/wiki/ . Except for trivial
changes, work on the wiki should be carried on
in /srv/www-sugarlabs/wiki-devel/ , then moved
to /srv/www-sugarlabs/wiki-testing/ for feedback before putting it into
the production instance.

The wiki is installed from svn. Upgrades can be carried on by switching
to a different branch. Beware of the extensions directory: it comes from
a different repository and its presence seems to confuse the top-level
svn. As a work-around for upgrades, I move it away and rename
extensions.old in its place.

>   * New F-13 VM for the build farm

The build-farm host is http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/bender

This is the recipe we used to create the F-12 buildslave:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/bender/Buildslave-fedora-12-64bit

Silbe knows all the details of the build farm. I know well the setup of
the KVM host because it used to be my personal machine when I was in
Italy :-)

> Just make sure I have all the necessary privileges, and I'll read the
> docs on the wiki to get started

You should have root on both Sunjammer and Bender.

Please, add yourself as sysadmin in the machine pages and under the
services you co-maintain:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/Contacts

Also feel free to fix and extend the documentation in the wiki. One day
we should break the services into many pages (Service/wiki,
Service/activities...). This would eliminate some redundancy. We should
also use templates.

Also feel free to propose any infrastructure enhancements you'd like to
carry on. I'm generally +1 on any practical change that reduces the
overhead of managing the infrastructure itself. I'm -1 on adding new VMs
or new services without someone taking long-term responsibility to
maintain them.