[Systems] Using squid from bender

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jan 26 17:49:31 EST 2010

Oops, forgot to copy systems@

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>
To: Develer IT Infrastructure <it at lists.develer.com>
Cc: Sascha Silbe <silbe at sugarlabs.org>
Subject: Uisng squid from bender
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:48:34 -0300

Hello folks,

it looks like we'd like to start using the squid instance on trinity
from bender to reduce bandwidth usage during our builds.

If this plan is ok with Develer's IT crowd, I'll do all the necessary
acl changes to make it work.

<silbe>   oh, BTW: _bernie: do you mind me setting up squid on bender some time?
<_bernie> silbe: I don't mind, but why do you need it?
<silbe>   _bernie: just to reduce traffic from the build slaves. I'd like to set up nightly Debian package builds and want to make sure they're not going to pull the same packages over and over :)
<_bernie> silbe: develer also has squid running on trinity btw
<_bernie> silbe: are you planning to use transparent proxying over ipv6? :-)
<silbe>   _bernie: ah good, will try to set it as parent then
<silbe>   _bernie: no thx, i hate transparent proxies :)
<_bernie> silbe: then just use trinity as a proxy without installing anything on sunjammer
<_bernie> silbe: if it doesn't love you, I'll change acls
<silbe>   _bernie: but maybe a tinydns+dnscache instance so we can use local names ;)
<_bernie> silbe: s/sunjammer/bender/
<silbe>   _bernie: ok, will do.
<_bernie> silbe: I'm not *against* running squid on bender, I just think it may be less work to reuse trinity's
<silbe>   _bernie: does squid on trinity have refresh-ims set?
<_bernie> silbe: what is refresh-ims?
<silbe>   _bernie: tells squid to ensure a fresh entry if the client uses If-Modified-SiCnce
<silbe>   If-Modified-Since that should have read
<silbe>   I'm having issues with squid giving false "unmodified"s to apt...
<_bernie> silbe: it's the default iirc
<silbe>   _bernie: i had to add it explicitly

Full minutes of this meeting are here:
  http://meeting.olpcorps.net/treehouse/treehouse.log.20100126_1601.html