[Systems] ping aslo master

Luke Faraone luke at sugarlabs.org
Wed Jan 20 12:30:57 EST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:06, Stephen Jacobs <itprofjacobs at gmail.com>wrote:

> 1.  Since this doesn't seem to be a "decide this week" level of urgency,
> let's wait til Bernie gets back from Paraguay and a phone conference can be
> scheduled.  IRC is useful, but there's still a lot more bandwidth in a
> phonecall then a text chat.

We'd like to have a decision by Monday, Feb 1, so we can inform our partners
where to ship or look for alternative hosting.

I've talked with Bernie and the Sugar Labs infrastructure team on IRC, and
Bernie won't be able to get back from Paraguay for a while. I've been
assigned to work on this, in cooperation with the infrastructure team, while
Bernie is away.

If you'd like, we can set up a conference call later this week. I can make
anything between 3:30pm and 7pm on Thursday or Friday, and am free all day
Saturday and Sunday. Would this work for you?

A.  places to put boxes where they will have power and an internet
> connection of bandwidth X.  RIT research computing is being asked to host X
> number of physical boxes of Y specification.  If this is still being worked
> out, RIT research computing just needs to know what the final decision is,
> not the various possibilities as it just gets kinda hard to follow.

Well, the near-term plan is to rack 3 servers, *1U each, for a total of 3U*.
These servers are approximately 3 to 4 years old.

Later, in 2-6 months, we may decide to purchase a new 2U server. This may
replace the existing servers, or will be in addition to.

B.  the following list of services required from an on-site human being to
> support the Sugar Labs servers.

Our servers will be running Ubuntu and Fedora Linux.  We can manage the
setup of services, but we would welcome student participation if there is
interest.

When the machines arrive, we'd just need someone to set up a basic Ubuntu
Karmic server installation, and give us SSH access with sudo. We also might
need someone on-site to debug problems that require manual intervention, but
this should be occasional.

C.  The following list of domain names etc. required for RIT to support.
>  Research computing may not be able to support some or all based on RIT
> policies and the main IT organization

Currently, Sugar Labs manages all of their own domains. Our primary planned
use of these machines is to cluster Activities.Sugarlabs.org.

If, for some reason, their are issues that Research computing can't surmount
> they will reccomend that we move the discussion to a different
> academic/administrative department or to CSH, depending on what the issues
> are.  Sound like a plan???

Sounds sensible. Let me know if you need me to go into more detail than I've
explained above, otherwise let me know when you want to set up a conference
call.

Thanks,

Luke Faraone
Infrastructure Team <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team>, Sugar