[Systems] ping aslo master

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 19 12:11:43 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> So, the major purpose for new boxes is clustering ASLO?

I was just throwing that idea 'out there' to see if it made sense.
The wins from my POV are that:
1.  RIT (CSH) has smart networking students looking for real world experience.
2.  ASLO and the technology we used to run and develop it are in
demand by employers.
3. As a private university RIT and Research Computing, is always
looking for corporate funding opportunities.

Open Source Labs at http://osuosl.org/ started when a student got
permission to host some of the Gentoo infrastructure on a spare
machine.  From there, the university started working with mozilla to
host and maintain their mirror network.  Bouncer was a OLS project.
Now it is a nationally know computing resource.

For Sugar Labs, the win is more distant and risky.  It is always
easier to scale up a service by putting it on a faster machine.  At
some point, the faster machine becomes a piece of expensive, esoteric
hardware.  But, we are nowhere near that point.

The value is in planting the seed with Research Computing and the CSH
to foster a project which can grow to become maintainers of this type
of web service.

The costs-
Additional time and labor setting up and racking several systems vs
just one machine.
Additional power consumption.
Additional maintenance keeping several used machines going vs one new machine.

If necessary, I will maintain the service on daily basis and remotely
mentor any student interested in working on the project.

david