[Systems] ping aslo master

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jan 18 15:24:11 EST 2010

[cc += lfaraone, pfmeec, cjg, acj, systems@]

Luke is in contact with the Wikimedia foundation for getting the
machines shipped once we get confirmation for the hosting.

In addition to these machines, Alexander Jones, a RIT student, found us
yet another 1U box of similar specs available from the CSH.

Summarizing:

 3x  Dual   2.5GHz AMD,  3-4GB RAM, 1x80GB HD
 1x  Single 2.4GHz Xeon,   ??? RAM, 2x18GB SCSI HD

Together, these boxes are likely to provide less processing power than
the dual-quad-core server we had in mind. Reliability would also be a
concern, but we probably need to make all components redundant anyway.

On the positive side, we're going to save $3000 from our IT budget and
provide a valuable opportunity for collaboration with both Wikimedia and
CSH, as David points out.

What remains to be seen, is who will physically rack the hardware and
perform the initial system installation and configuration. We already
have 4 virtual machine images that were configured and tuned during the
initial phase of clustering ASLO. We could hand them to a local sysadmin
who would just have to unpack them into a local filesystem and make them
boot. If it turns out to be difficult, we could install a fresh Ubuntu
Karmic system on top of which we'll rsync our filesystem images. Either
way, it may be a good challenge for sysadmin students.

If we're lucky, we may end up with enough ethernet cards and (managed)
switch ports to setup a second LAN for private traffic such as database,
nfs and syslog. We'd also need enough storage to backup all these machines.

If this scenario results in unacceptable overhead for RIT, we could
return to our original plan to get a new 2U machine shipped there.

Thoughts?