[Systems] VM console login (was: Re: F12 Buildslave Reboot and F11 Usage?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-systems at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 7 15:50:06 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:49:51PM -0500, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> El lun, 23-11-2009 a las 18:21 +0100, Sebastian Dziallas escribió:

> More than anything else, I need the root password in order to log in
> from the console.
>
> Alternatively, we may disable the password prompt in the console with
> "mingetty --autologin root" in Fedora. For Ubuntu, we'd have to figure
> it out...
mingetty isn't up to the task (unless you'd prefer to use VNC to log in
to a text console): "mingetty is a minimal getty for use on virtual
consoles.  Unlike agetty(8), mingetty is not suitable for serial lines."
I was able to set up the same using the regular getty + minimal wrapper
script for login, though - at least for Debian. For Fedora
a) SELinux is getting in my way (agetty may not execute my wrapper
script - WTF?) and
b) Fedora has explicitly disabled support for "-f root" in login.

buildslave-fedora-11-64bit reverted back to previous state; had more
than enough Fedora trouble for one day (needed three tries to
update/reinstall my local F11 VM to F12 because the upgrader/installer
broke horribly).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/