[Systems] Server proposals

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sun Feb 28 12:34:54 EST 2010

Hi Bernie,

   > We're looking for a 1U or 2U rack-mountable machine with fast
   > processors, at least 8GB of RAM and at least 1TB of fast storage
   > on RAID1 and simple remote management (reboot, access to text
   > console).  I couldn't find anything with redundant PSU in our
   > price range.

Dilinger recommends http://www.serversdirect.com/ , I think he just
bought another machine from them.  Here's a machine that you can get
12G RAM/1T disk*2 on for $1668 (using their own RAM/disk, rather than
from newegg, so maybe can save more if you use newegg for those):

http://www.serversdirect.com/config.asp?config_id=SDR-S2001-T06

If you need redundant PSUs, I think it goes up to $2150:

http://www.serversdirect.com/config.asp?config_id=SDR-S2002-T12

Not sure about remote management, it says it has IPMI.

   >  HP 500W Non-Hot Plug Power Supply

Are you sure these machines have redundant PSUs?

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>