[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #10739] git.sugarlabs.org: Gitorious upgrade

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Feb 27 18:39:41 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 18:27 +0000, Lance Albertson via RT wrote:
> Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten about this ticket. I've
> been very busy working on a larger project and haven't had a chance to
> look into this. Unfortunately I don't have many students that are
> familiar with Rails to help with this but I may need to teach someone
> real quick. What kind of a deadline would you like to have to get this
> done? I think you should be able to at least get this tested on the dev
> side in the meantime.

Since this is a service enhancement, we don't have a particular
deadline, but it would be nice to provide the new features of Gitorious
to our developers.

I tried to perform an upgrade myself in the development environment,
but since I'm unfamiliar with Rails myself, I got stuck on unprivileged
installation of the required gems.

There are now nice upgrade instructions for Gitorious:

 http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/Upgrading

There are also specific instructions for Gentoo:

 http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/Gentoo_Installation

A privileged admin would be required. If none of the OSU-OSL admins is
available to work on this, maybe we could create a clone of the
production VM and give root to one of our admins?