[Systems] Randomised backup - puppet

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 10:20:28 EST 2010

I have been working on implementing a backup module into our puppet setup.
One question that I am having is how to time the runs.

IIRC one of the problems that we had with the initial ALSO cluster tests in
that several of the VMs on treehouse triggered backups at the same time
which cause a cascading series of slowdowns/failures.

We have a number of options for dealing with this issue.  The first and
easiest to implement is to have puppet pick a time random(X) minutes after
midnight local time to trigger a job. (The same can apply to build runs)

Is this sane.  Non-deterministic things seem like they might be evil to the
sysadmin way.

david.

On a somewhat related note. Last week Dogi expressed interest in working on
a eucalyptus:)  it _might_ be worth looking into how the build farm could
run eucalyptus.  From my limited research.... Cloud is a term which has been
taken over my marketing and has become so dilute as to become worthless.
But, one area it might be useful is providing build VMs 'on demand'  I have
been looking at bender.  It is idle almost all of the time because builds
don't take very long.

One option is to see is to see if it is feasible for eucalyptus to bring
build machines on and off line as needed.