[Systems] [gnu.org #552346] [Fwd: Reverse DNS for translate.sugarlabs.org]

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Feb 19 08:02:02 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 16:04 -0500, Ward Vandewege via RT wrote:
> > [bernie at codewiz.org - Thu Feb 18 15:07:45 2010]:
> > This is the reverse zone I wrote for us. Can you spot any obvious error?
>
> I don't know much about bind, so don't take this as gospel ;).
>
> Do you have to delegate the rest back to us? That seems unnecessary.
>
> I do get the proper results when asking for reverse lookups, so it
> works, at least :)

BIND can only act as master for entire subnets, not arbitrary IP ranges.

Delegating back the extra IPs it really only necessary if clients were
to query us for reverses of the FSF IP ranges, which shouldn't happen in
general. However, some of our nameservers are also answering recursive
queries for LAN clients and localhost.

But, yeah, it's mostly just a matter of perfectionism :-)