[Systems] [IAEP] Sugar Planet syndication instructions

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Feb 14 19:16:00 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 15:09 -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi Bernie,
>
>    > Pitiful Earthlings, the Mighty Masters of Planet Sugar
>    > established the following unilateral peace conditions:
>
> Is there a reason to make this a manual process, instead of e.g.:
>
> cp /current/config /.planetconfig
> for i in /home/*/.planet; do
>   cat $i >> .planetconfig;
> done
>
> ?

Whoever takes over the planet may end up writing and testing this
script, too (1)

In my mind, there's a lot more to do than just collecting feeds: taking
action for broken or off-topic feeds, improving the css and html,
switching to better software (2), helping writers diagnose problems with
their feeds, collecting missing hackergotchis for consistency...

Just to name a few simple and obvious things. In its present state, ours
looks like an abandoned planet, so there's a lot of room for
improvement.

(1) I got the scripts used by planet.fedoraproject.org, btw).
(2) see my post on systems@ about Planet Venus.