[Systems] ASLO (Was: Load on treehouse)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Aug 29 17:23:58 EDT 2010

El Sun, 29-08-2010 a las 13:54 -0500, David Farning escribió:

> Now that the Servers are up at RIT we will be moving ASLO out of Gnaps....

What's the combined processing power of those 3 machines?
From what I remember, it might be less than sunjammer and treehouse.
Can I have access so I can make some benchmarks?

Besides, where would we put the database and NFS server? If the
Wikimedia servers are not reliable (no rendundant hard drives, fans and
power supplies), it's very dangerous to keep live data on them.

> Alsroot is mentoring a team of webdevelopers to update ASLO to the
> latest version of AMO.  Upstream has migrated from cake-php to Django.
>  The code is an order of magnitude cleaner:)

This would be a fantastic work. How much effort and time do you estimate
to complete it?

> That should give you a lot more flexibility to move the rest of the
> infrastructure to Gnaps, bender, and housetree.

Since I'm going to be at the FSF full-time, a good strategy for us could
be to consolidate as much as possible of the Sugar Labs infrastructure
on fewer machines to reduce administration overhead.

Their machines and environment seem to be the most stable, with over 200
days of continuous uptime for sunjammer. If the FSF can't offer us
enough processing power, we still have the option of purchasing a new
8-core box using the budget allocated for infrastructure a few months
ago.