[Systems] Unified login to SL servers

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Aug 17 10:16:03 EDT 2010

Hi all,

My initial purpose is implementing sign-on feature for OBS[1]
which should be hosted as bazaar.sl.o (for now, it is tied to Novel
accounting system or new users can be added only by admin).

At first, I was thinking about OpenID but Bernie said about CAS[2]
(in such case we can implement centralized, in comparing w/ OpenID,
accounting system for all SL services).

I found two CAS implementations, one Java based and one lightweight
Ruby server. Last one doesn't have feature to create new users but has
many backends (including custom) to get accounts info.

If we will follow CAS way, I think we can use wiki.sl.o accounts (and
all related infra like creating new users, sending "reset password" etc)
and point CAS server to its accounts db. And can start experimenting on
wiki-devel.sl.o with such feature to make bazaar.sl.o useful not only
for registered by admin users.

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Authentication_Service

--