[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #10739] git.sugarlabs.org: Gitorious upgrade

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Fri Apr 30 18:17:13 EDT 2010

On Mon Mar 01 18:23:35 2010, ramereth wrote:
> > I tried to perform an upgrade myself in the development environment,
> > but since I'm unfamiliar with Rails myself, I got stuck on
> > unprivileged installation of the required gems.
> >
> > There are now nice upgrade instructions for Gitorious:
> >
> >  http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/Upgrading
> >
> > There are also specific instructions for Gentoo:
> >
> >  http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/Gentoo_Installation
>
> Thanks for the pointers.

Finally getting around to this. We're in the midst of aligning all of
our current ruby installs to a new much better environment and I would
like to do that first on your current production environment. Once that
is done, then we can move onto doing the upgrade afterwards.

We're going to be switching from fastcgi to using passenger with apache,
and switch to having all of the gems installed by 'gem install' instead
of using portage. In order for me to do this properly, I need to
completely remove all of the existing gems and reinstall the ruby
environment again. My plan is to take a snapshot of the current versions
of gems and re-install the exact same versions back. That way we
hopefully don't encounter any issues with the current site.

After we let that sit for a day or so, we can move towards doing the
upgrade.

When can I do the ruby environment fix? I'd prefer to work on this next
Monday. I'm guessing the outage will last around an hour or less.

Thanks-

--
Lance Albertson
Systems Administrator / Architect