[Systems] mirror testing request

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Tue Sep 22 04:49:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 16:15 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> The point behind cacheboy is to try and fix this preponderance of
> differently run mirror systems, with different content distribution
> methods, most of which don't really have the network topology or
> network utilisation in consideration.
>
> The plan is to be able to put well connected nodes in places with lots
> of peering but small and/or expensive amounts of transit (eg, places
> like africa, south america, eastern europe, Australia and New Zealand
> :) and have all the projects take advantage of it.

Fully agree with you in a technical way, from a organizational
perspective CacheBoy seem to be run by only you (or are more people
involved?)

It is not a case trust, but over time monolithic systems do pass. If
there is no way to take over the infrastructure when something happens
to you,  (girlfriend/kids/health issues may happen, and ofcourse I wish
you are fine) I would not want to relay on CacheBoy only.

I think a dependency in one person,server,uplink is not wise. Therefore
my idea to have multiple mirror systems is one way of creating more
redundancy, but the only.

A way the harden CachyBoy would having multiple admins that work for
CacheBoy. And CacheBoy would become an organization over time
(foundation or something).

2ct,
Marten