[Systems] Documentation on Bender

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Sep 13 21:03:11 EDT 2009

[cc += fgrose, aleph]

El Mon, 14-09-2009 a las 00:33 +0200, Sascha Silbe escribió:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 06:09:52PM -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>
> > Sascha, would you mind updating the documentation on bender to include
> > the current setup of the buildslaves and how they were created?
> I've documented them during installation [1-4], but didn't add a link to
> these pages yet.
>
> >   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/bender
> So bender is "official" now, great! Will try to update the docs within
> the next few days.

Yes, it's official.  It now has a public static IP and more bandwidth.
The Develer admins are going to move the guts into a new 2U case with
reduntant fans (currently, it's in a crappy midi-tower case).

I asked them to kindly announce the downtime using identi.ca.

> > * log into the existing buildslaves from the console
> >    (did we set have a root password?)
> I've set random root passwords and stored them locally (PGP-encrypted).
> How do we want to handle that? Root-owned plain text file on bender?

If we disallow password logins from ssh (as we do) and root logins from
ssh (which we also do), we could even publish the root password in the
wiki!

I wouldn't go this far, it's just to say that there really is no
security issue.  How about storing the passwords in /root/memo?

I've killed the local memo files from our servers when I moved the
information to the Machine/ pages, but this is probably a good use-case
for having one.

> > * get buildslave-fedora-12-64bit to boot (how was it created?)
> See [5] - I got stuck somewhere during upgrade due to F12 brokenness.
> I'll try to get it running tomorrow; might make sense to just start over
> (i.e. delete and clone from F11 again).

It looks like it's crashing before reaching grub.  Or you didn't put the
required pixie magic in grub.conf to make it use the serial console.

Do you know how to do it?  Here's how we do it at the FSF:

  http://config.fsf.org/misc/4bernie/menu.lst

> [1]
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/VM/Buildslave-debian-squeeze-64bit
> [2]
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/VM/Buildslave-debian-squeeze-32bit
> [3]
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/VM/Buildslave-fedora-11-64bit
> [4]
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/VM/Buildslave-fedora-11-32bit
> [5]
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/VM/Buildslave-fedora-12-64bit

Cool!

What do you think, should we really make a distinction between physical
and virtual machines in the wiki?  From a user's PoV, it doesn't really
matter.

Perhaps we could establish the host/vm relationships by adding links and
back-links in each machine page?

Don't you feel the need for some kind of standard Machine template to be
applied to all servers?  Perhaps FGrose can suggest a good way to do it.